Author: Donna Beuk,
Title: Assistant Professor
Institution: Auburn University @ Montgomery
- Value the concept of EBP as integral to determining best clinical practice
- Read original research and evidence reports related to area of practice
- Locate evidence reports related to clinical practice topics and guidelines
- Explain the role of evidence in determining best clinical practice
- Question rationale for routine approaches to care that result in less-than-desired outcomes or adverse events
- Value the need for continuous improvement in clinical practice based on new knowledge
Undergraduate nursing students enrolled in an Evidence-Based Practice nursing course learn the process of EBP along with evidence discovery and appraisal in order to apply and integrate clinical practice guidelines into nursing practice.
“Using the Process of EBP to Assess Clinical Practice Protocols” is a group capstone project assignment.
Students self-select groups of 3 – 4.
The project includes: (1) Identify a clinical question. (2) Obtain an agency practice protocol related to the clinical question. (3) Historically research the clinical practice protocol and evaluate across the nursing continuum to solidify rationale(s) for the EBP. (4) Prepare a written and oral presentation of findings. (5) Provide suggestions to increase compliance of protocol in the practice setting.
Grading Rubric for Assessing Practice Protocols Project Written Component: (75%)
1. Write an evidence-based practice (PICO) question related to your Patient
Care Protocol. Discuss the significance of this question to nursing practice
2. Review the evidence (research, systematic reviews, and clinical practice
guidelines) on your question (a minimum of 6 (maximum of 8) articles must be included). These articles must include at least 3 research studies, and 3
non-research studies. Discuss your search strategies for finding your evidence on CINAHL, Medline and other databases. It is expected that you also search review databases such as Cochrane, Johanna Briggs, and for Practice Guidelines from AHRQ. (Search strategy description – 5 points)
3. Use the attached form/grid sheet to present relevant points and initial
evaluation of your literature. You must turn in a copy of all articles with
your project. (Grid – 20 points)
4. Write a brief synthesis summary of the findings of the articles with APA
citations. This paper should be 3-4 pages long and must be a synthesis and not just a linking of abstracts. (Synthesis -20 points)
5. Answer the following Consistency of Evidence Questions:
a) Are there replications of studies with consistent results?
b) Are the studies well designed?
c) Are recommendations consistent among systematic reviews, evidence-based practice guidelines, and individual studies?
d) Are there identified benefits to the patient for applying evidence-based
e) Are there identified risks?
f) Have cost studies been done on the recommended action, intervention, or treatment? (10 points)
6. List your recommendations for evidence-based practice. Evaluate the Evidence Rating and Quality Rating of each article. (10 points)
1. Content representative of paper, well organized, and clear to audience (5 points)
2. Oral Summary of work with Interprofessional Team (5 points)
3. Audiovisuals for presentation are of good quality – follow good poster
guidelines (10 points)
4. Professional manner, language, and dress during presentation (5 points)