Author: LAURIE PITTMAN, MSN, RN
Title: Assistant Professor of Nursing
Institution: Louisiana State University at Alexandria
Evidence-Based Practice, Informatics, Patient-Centered Care, Safety, Teamwork and Collaboration
Pre-Licensure ADN/Diploma, Pre-Licensure BSN
Classroom, Clinical Setting
1. Identify barriers to active participation of a patient in their own health care processes with respect to patient preferences for degree of active engagement.
2. Navigate the electronic health record to obtain supporting data in identification of patient barriers to participation in their own health care processes.
3. Utilize appropriate resources to develop strategies to engage a patient in active participation of their own health care processes.
4. Discuss the role and value of the nurse in implementing strategies to empower active participation of a patient in their own health care processes.
5. Identify members of the healthcare team needed to support the nurse and patient in the patient overcoming barriers to active participation in their own health care processes.
6. Discuss the role and value of members of the healthcare team in implementing strategies to empower active participation of a patient in their own health care processes.
The QSEN written project provides an opportunity for nursing students to apply QSEN competencies in recognizing and addressing physiological, psychosocial, developmental, cultural, and socioeconomic barriers patients face with their health and within the healthcare system. Incorporating QSEN competencies into an ADN and BSN clinical project fosters awareness of the knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed by the student nurse and licensed professional nurse to promote high quality and safe nursing practice leading to positive patient outcomes. Specifically, the student has the opportunity to identify nursing and interprofessional interventions to help patients overcome barriers to improve active participation in their health care.
Students are assigned the project at the beginning of the clinical rotation with a due date that provides time to recognize and choose an appropriate patient who exhibits barriers to active participation in all or part of their own health care processes and develop the paper using the specific instructions. The suggested time frame is 3-4 weeks. Through understanding and recognition of QSEN competencies, students will choose a patient and develop a paper addressing the following:
A. Patient demographics and supporting data
B. Barrier(s) to active involvement of health care, including type of barrier(s) with rationale Barrier(s) may include but are not limited to: social support system, living arrangements, language barriers, health literacy, cognitive status, insurance type, transportation, occupation, religious affiliation, gender identification, and/or denial of health status.
C. Identify and discuss a minimum of three (3) evidence-based strategies to overcome barriers
D. Nurse role in implementing strategies
E. Identify and discuss the role of at least two (2) other healthcare team members needed to support the strategies
F. Expected or actual outcomes of strategies
The paper will adhere to APA format and include at least three scholarly nursing resources ≤ 3 years old. Students will follow the attached rubric which can be modified in the total point value to conform to course needs.
Students will increase their understanding of QSEN and the application of selected competencies in supporting patients to overcome actual or perceived barriers to active participation in their own healthcare processes using evidenced-based practice strategies and collaboration with other healthcare team members. Students will recognize the selected competencies will enhance patient-centered care and safety that leads to positive patient outcomes.
The evaluation of objectives will be through the attached rubric.