Author: Kathleen Peterson, PhD, RN, PNP-BC
Title: Professor and Chair
Institution: The College at Brockport, State University of New York
This assignment utilizes all six of the QSEN competencies:
1. Patient-Centered Care: Recognize the patient or designee as the source of control and full partner in providing compassionate and coordinated care based on respect for patient’s preferences, values, and needs.
2. Teamwork and Collaboration: Function effectively within nursing and inter-professional teams, fostering open communication, mutual respect, and shared decision-making to achieve quality patient care.
3. Evidence Based Practice: Integrate best current evidence with clinical expertise and patient/family preferences and values for delivery of optimal health care. Quality Improvement: Use data to monitor the outcomes of care processes and use improvement methods to design and test changes to continuously improve the quality and safety of health care systems.
4. Quality Improvement: Use data to monitor the outcomes of care processes and use improvement methods to design and test changes to continuously improve the quality and safety of health care systems.
5. Safety: Minimize risk of harm to patients and providers through both system effectiveness and individual performance.
6. Informatics: Use information and technology (IT) to communicate, manage knowledge, mitigate error, and support decision making.
• The student will interview a nurse leader (nurse manager, nurse leader, nurse administrator) during their capstone/preceptorship experience.
• The student will write a synopsis of the answers provided in a paper.
• The paper should be a minimum of 4 pages (no more than 5 pages), and be typed using size 12 font and double-spaced.
• The student is to observe rules of grammar, spelling, and punctuation and demonstrate a good writing style and flow as established by the APA Style Manual
The student is to interview the nurse leader with the following questions so that the student can describe the processes which occur in the clinical setting related to the QSEN competencies.
1. To what extent do nursing staff of this unit support patient-centered care of individuals and families whose values differ than their own? What are the barriers supporting this fully? How can it be improved?
2. Describe the nursing and inter-professional teams that operate on this unit.
3. Provide an example of a nursing practice that has been changed in the last year based on current best evidence.
4. Provide an example of how an unwanted variation that occurred within the last year on the unit changed practice and improved patient outcomes.
5. How are national safety guidelines implemented on this unit?
6. What are the two main issues with the Electronic Medical Records on this unit?
This assignment is within the last Leadership and Management class in a BSN program. The student will interview a nurse leader in the clinical site that they are assignment to for their capstone/preceptorship experience that is scheduled within the same semester.
1. Complete answers to the above questions (8 points)
2. APA, grammar, and spelling (2 points)
This assignment will be completed this semster for the first time.