Strategy HomeSubmission GuidelinesSubmission FormStrategy SearchStrategy Feed
Select the link below to download the guidelines or view the information provided below.
2021 WORKSHOPS – Practice Strategies: https://qsen.org/2021-workshops-group-b/
Bethany Robertson, DNP, CNM
Director of QSEN Institute Practice Strategies
Ashley Badders, MSN, RN
QSEN Practice Strategies Coordinator
QSEN practice strategies provide the opportunity for individuals in practice settings to share their efforts in implementing QSEN competencies. Once submitted, the QSEN project team evaluates all submissions in terms of relevance to quality and safety education, how well the practice strategy meets criteria, and overall quality of presentation including grammar and editing.
1. Peer reviews are blinded.
2. The submission form and any additional materials submitted are sent to the reviewers.
3. Reviewers are asked to evaluate the practice strategy against the criteria and provide feedback for the author(s) within 4 – 6 weeks of receiving the documents.
4. Submissions will receive one of the following recommendations:
b. Publish with revision
c. Review again after revision
d. Do not publish
5. If the submission is resubmitted, you may receive it back to review again.
When submitting and/or attaching documents that accompany your practice strategy, please de-identify all personal and school-related information, such as the name of the author, affiliation, course number, etc.
The criteria for practice strategies are different from traditional peer review criteria used for evaluating journal manuscripts and are amplified below.
The Title should clearly describe the strategy.
Select one or more QSEN competencies that are promoted using your practice strategy. Be certain the competency domains are clearly recognizable in the practice strategy and use language consistent with QSEN competencies. The Competency domains/categories selected should clearly represent the focus of the strategy.
Indicate the learner level(s) for which the strategy is designed.
In what setting(s) would this strategy be appropriate? Users should be able to easily adapt the strategy to any of the Learning Settings selected.
What descriptor best fits this strategy?
Objectives should be written so they identify the QSEN knowledge, skills, or attitudes (KSAs) that your strategy is designed to develop or evaluate. If your practice strategy objectives, as written for your own target audience, have focused on more specific outcomes, be sure your descriptions are edited for consistency with QSEN competency language prior to submission. Learning objectives should be written as behavioral outcome objectives.
● Authors are encouraged to convert QSEN outcomes into objectives.
● Other objectives should be written in a format such as SMART (see information at end of author guidelines on Writing Outcome Objectives) and need to clearly link to QSEN.
● Remember: there are three domains of objectives, and effective learning is essential to changes in behavior.
Describe the strategy and its implementation. This should be an explanation of the practice strategy and should provide a specific means by which the student/learner can meet the objectives. It should be presented clearly, be directly associated with the objectives, and relate to QSEN competency definitions. If you have additional materials to submit, indicate in the strategy overview where they are to be used.
Strategy Evaluation (assessment)
Describe evaluation methods for your assessments (anecdotal or databased) of learning outcomes and student/learner and faculty/instructor satisfaction with this strategy. Assure that the strategy evaluation methods align with the learning objectives, are relevant to the strategy, and can be reasonably met if the user follows the strategic overview.
● The assessment or evaluation strategies should be linked to the learning objectives;
● It is helpful if the author provides an evaluation rubric or other types of evaluation tool; and
● Authors are encouraged to share results of evaluation if available.
● If abbreviations or initials are used, spell out the word or term the first time, followed by the abbreviation/initials in parentheses. The abbreviation/initials may be used thereafter.
● Be sure to use spellcheck, but also edit; spellcheck will not catch correctly spelled words that are incorrect in context.
● Remember to keep returning to the QSEN competencies – the practice strategy aligns to one or more practice strategy, and must associate with the associated knowledge, skills, attitudes, or a combination.
● Reports of research studies (such as an abstract) or academic assignments are not appropriate and will not be accepted. If it seems to have merit, the author can convert it into a practice strategy.
● Please reference all non-original materials used in the practice strategy.
● In addition to the strategy sections on the online submission form, please upload the entire practice strategy in the upload file blocks.
Writing Outcome Objectives
● Bloom’s original taxonomy vs Bloom’s taxonomy revised – includes cognitive, psychomotor and affective objectives
● Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy from Iowa State University