Author: Susan DeSanto-Madeya, RN, DNS
Title: Assistant Professor
Institution: College of Nursing and Health Sciences University of Massachusetts Boston
Coauthors: JoAnn Mulready-Shick, EdD, RN, CNE Undergraduate Nursing Program Director
Learning Objectives: In writing this 10-12 page clinical integration paper, the senior nursing student will:
- Describe a nursing or patient care concern, issue, or problem encountered during the senior level clinical experience.
- Identify one or more of the QSEN competencies referring to the specific knowledge, skills, or attitudes and behaviors for that particular competency (ies) as outlined in the Cronenwett et al (2007) article.
- Analyze the significance of the concern for nursing practice in relation to the one or more QSEN competencies. (From different perspectives, what and why is it important to explore this concern or issue?)
- Complete a review of the literature related to the nursing or patient care concern and the associated QSEN competency.
- Provide a case exemplar from your clinical experience that exemplifies the nursing or patient care concern and its related QSEN competency(ies).
- Synthesize the nursing implications from recent literature to the specific concern or issue and include implications for these three areas:
Each student will write a paper relating a nursing care concern, issue, or problem, encountered during the senior clinical experience, to a particular QSEN competency (ies). The paper must include a selected case or exemplar that illustrates the clinical concern or issue.
Implementation: Length of paper 10-12 pages, excluding title page and reference page. APA format, including headings and correct citations in farmacieproprie body of paper. The paper is due _______ in your student portfolio.
Stages and processes for paper completion: 1. Identification of nursing or patient care concern or issue- Submit a typed paragraph describing the issue and related QSEN competency. Include annotated bibliography of 3 nursing and/or health care research articles. Submit by end of first month. Date due:
- Write a draft of the paper. Submit to clinical faculty by end of second month. Date due:
- Complete the Final paper, incorporating revisions from draft. Date due:
- Present your paper to clinical group classmates -either oral presentation and/or poster.
- Consider future submission to nursing conference or publication. Presentation due:_______
Grading Criteria: This paper is a senior course requirement. Students must receive a 80% or better on this senior capstone clinical integration paper to pass this course.
- Introduction of the nursing or patient care concern, issue, or problem. Identification of its significance. Identification of related QSEN competency. 25 points
- Review of the literature- currency, inclusion of both the nursing or patient care concern and QSEN competency literature, use and scope of professional nursing and health care literature. 25 points
- Case study or exemplar illustrating the patient care or nursing issue or concern. 20 points
- Synthesis of nursing implications for practice, education, and research. 25 points
- Writing style, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and APA format. 5 points