Submitter InformationAuthor: Julie Brown Harold, MSN, RN, CEN Title: Assistant Professor Institution: Louisiana State University- Alexandria Email: Jharold@lsua.edu Competency Category(s) Evidence-Based Practice, Patient-Centered Care, Safety, Teamwork and Collaboration Learner Level(s) New Graduates/Transition to Practice, Pre-Licensure ADN/Diploma, Pre-Licensure BSN, RN to BSN Learner Setting(s) Skills or Simulation Laboratories Strategy Type General Strategy Learning Objectives
– Apply effective therapeutic communication skills during triage. (patient-centered care, safety)
– Demonstrate a focused assessment. (patient-centered care, safety, evidence-based practice)
– Implement the nursing process using evidence-based practice. (patient-centered care, safety,
– Recognize abnormal vital signs and effectively communicate to the healthcare team. (patient-centered
care, teamwork, and collaboration, safety, evidence-based practice)
– Apply clinical reasoning to determine the patient problem list. (patient-centered care, safety,
– Perform accurate documentation (Informatics)
This simulation activity provides an opportunity for nursing students to apply QSEN competencies in recognizing and addressing physiological, psychosocial, developmental, cultural, and socioeconomic barriers this patient scenario includes.
This simulation scenario allows the student to be in the role of an Emergency Room triage nurse. The scenario supplies basic information about the patient to prompt the student to utilize therapeutic, effective communication and clinical reasoning to determine the patient’s problem list. The student will also have to ignore distractors while employing nonjudgmental, unbiased, and culturally sensitive behaviors. They will have to use evidence-based practice, clinical reasoning, and judgment to recognize the urgency of the situation and determine the course of action. They will have to use teamwork and collaboration to notify a provider. This simulation should be completed within a 20-minute time frame.Submitted Materials 287.TRIAGE-SIMULATION-QSEN-Final.docx Additional Materials Evaluation Description
Objectives will be evaluated utilizing the provided rubric. The rubric’s key parts are to ensure that the student displays cultural sensitivity, practices effective and therapeutic communication, and utilizes clinical reasoning and judgment on a time-sensitive issue such as sepsis.