Author: Lisa Sue Flood, MSN, RN
Title: Associate Professor
Institution: Northern Michigan University
- Identify dimensions of the client’s diversity identified through the nursing interview.
- Discuss common problems/concerns for the cultural/diverse group.
- Plan potential patient-centered interventions which promote wellness and demonstrate respect for the client’s diversity.
- Identify how knowledge gained from this assignment will influence your future nursing care with diverse clients.
- During the interview, identify the client’s cultural affiliation, values, beliefs, practices, preferences, and expressed needs related to health care, illness, and religion.
- Determine the client’s communication needs and identify family structure, needs, and preferences.
- Evaluate the communication skills you used during the interview.
- Demonstrate written scholarly communication skills using correct APA format.
- Evaluate and use a variety of scholarly/professional references cited correctly per the APA manual.
- Value continuous improvement of your communication skills.
- After reflection, recognize and analyze how your culturally-based attitudes, values, and beliefs impact nursing care.
Using a Capstone Cultural Diversity Paper for Program Outcomes Evaluation
For nursing students in isolated rural areas, opportunities to meet a diverse population can be limited. The capstone course at Northern Michigan University requires senior nursing students to write a scholarly paper based on interviews with a client from another culture, religion, or sexual orientation. In addition to student evaluations, this three-part paper is also used to evaluate the baccalaureate program outcomes of critical thinking, written communication, and therapeutic interventions. First, students interview a diverse client. Second, students analyze the interview data and compare their findings with the literature. Third, students reflect on their own cultural beliefs and values and discuss their influence on future nursing practice.
NOTE: The following excerpts have been reprinted with the publisher’s permission.
Flood, L. S. (2007). online pharmacy Using a capstone cultural diversity paper for program outcomes evaluation. Nursing Education Perspectives, 28(3), 130 – 135.
Guidelines for Cultural Diversity Paper (Excerpts from Course Syllabus)
Students will need to interview a person of a different race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation to complete part of this assignment. The paper consists of three parts. In Part I the student interviews a client using a standard cultural assessment tool (minimum 3–5 pages). In Part II, the student must submit a typed analysis of the client’s diversity supported with in-text references citations (minimum 3 – 4 pages). In Part III, the student must submit…a personal reflection of how this knowledge might influence their nursing care with persons from different cultures (minimum 2 pages).
For Part I: Client Interview Data
Using the attached questionnaire, the student will explore the client’s health beliefs as they relate to his/her cultural diversity by completing the Cultural Assessment Guide…Previous students have found it helpful to review the literature before the actual interview to be better prepared for asking specific questions.
For Part II: Cultural Analysis and Health Care Needs Identification
The student needs to analyze their client’s diversity using interview data and reference sources. At a minimum you should include the following:
- Using the client interview data and current literature, describe the traditional cultural health care beliefs and practices, which includes illness beliefs and customs, interpersonal relationships, spiritual/religious beliefs and practices, worldview beliefs, and social structures.
- Discuss any differences between what you’ve read in the literature regarding the culture’s traditional health and what your client told you. Include possible explanations for these differences.
- Identify actual or potential health care problems/concerns (for example cultural, physical, psychological, social, financial, or developmental) for the client and their cultural /diversity group.
- Discuss potential therapeutic interventions for the client and/or their cultural group that promote wellness, which demonstrate respect for the client’s culture/diversity, rights, beliefs, values, and life experiences and that incorporate professional values and practice standards.
- Record your observations from the interview regarding nonverbal and verbal communication (such as eye contact, rate of speech, personal space, and touch) demonstrated by yourself and the client.
For Part III: Personal Reflections
The student needs to reflect upon how their own culture and beliefs influences their nursing care and how knowledge gained from this assignment will influence future nursing care with clients from diverse cultures. At a minimum you should include the following: analyze how your culture (beliefs, values, religion, orientation, etc.) influences your nursing care.
- To what extent do your beliefs, prejudices, or bias influence your thinking and nursing care? Give several examples.
- Discuss specifically how the knowledge from this assignment will influence your future nursing care of clients from different cultures/orientations. Discuss several examples.